background

February 22, 2012

Hi, I'm Lauren (well, Sister Jarvie)

This is the profile I posted on Mormon.org before my mission--this is a great way to introduce people to the church and it's members!!
Hi, I'm Lauren
I preach the gospel to the four corners of the world, I'm a missionary, and I'm a Mormon.
About Me
I am currently serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Salt Lake City at Temple Square.
Why I am a Mormon
I was born in the church, but I am still a convert. Each one of us decides to follow the gospel just as a new member does. Following the gospel of Jesus Christ is a choice. A choice that everyone here who hears the message must make. Every day we must be constantly converting ourselves by faithfully trying to live the way Heavenly Father has marked for us. He marks this path through the scriptures and through the words of our modern day prophets, such as Thomas S. Monson. I believe The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the only true church on this Earth and that is the only way to make it back to our Father in Heaven. By living the gospel, I have faith that I will always be happy and find strength from my trials.
Personal Stories
Please share your feelings/testimony of Joseph Smith.
Joseph Smith was chosen to be the first prophet of the Restored gospel of Jesus Christ. He was only 14 years old and was wondering what religion he should follow, so he asked of God. He went to pray in the woods by his house, God and Jesus Christ appeared to him there. I know that he was chosen to be the first prophet in the fullness of times because I did what he did, I asked of God. Without Joseph Smith, there would not be the priesthood, or, the power and authority of God, on the earth. Through him, we are able to receive the blessings of the Priesthood. By that same power of God, Joseph Smith was able to translate The Book of Mormon from the ancient record.
Please explain the part prayer plays in your life?
Prayer plays a huge role in my life because it is the only way that I can communicate with my Father in Heaven. As we are taught in the Bible Dictionary definition of Prayer, "As soon as we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God (namely, God is our Father, and we are his children), then at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part (Matt. 7:7–11). Many of the so-called difficulties about prayer arise from forgetting this relationship. Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other. The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them. Blessings require some work or effort on our part before we can obtain them. Prayer is a form of work, and is an appointed means for obtaining the highest of all blessings."
The first time I ever read this the Spirit of God testified to me that this is true. Our Heavenly Father loves us and He wants us to communicate with Him. If we are following the teachings of His Son, Jesus Christ, and ask Him with real intent to help us, I know that He will bless us.
How I live my faith
I had the best opportunity to be an Especially For Youth counselor. I was able to have groups of young girls aged 13-18, and teach them about the Church. I was also able to help them understand and find clarity about things they struggle with as youth in this day. It is my favorite thing to spend time with the youth and have fun with them.

Now, I am living my faith by inviting others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the Restored gospel of Jesus Christ through faith in his Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.
  • Why is it important for us to take care of our bodies? Why are our bodies called temples of God in the Bible?
Lauren answered...
Our bodies are a gift from God. My body is the only one I will ever have and so I don't want to do anything that would harm it. As we take good care of our bodies by, eating nutritious food and exercising we show God that we respect and are grateful for His gift. It is a privilege to have a healthy body; that is why we should not "[defile] our bodies with drugs, tobacco, or unwholesome foods".

I believe in the body’s natural capacity to heal itself. If we take care of ourselves and give our bodies the right nutrients it needs, we can help cure and prevent health problems such as, common colds or even depression. That is why I believe it is important for us to take care of our bodies.


No comments: