background

February 8, 2012

Faith Is the First Thing We Need

Taking a break in the call center
We have access to all the help we need while teaching!

Bom Dia! Ola! Things are going great with the people I’m teaching in Brazil! All of them live in Parana, so not anywhere near where Elder Swinney is. Anyways, they are so great and already have so much faith. Their English isn't that great yet, but now they are all finished with Brother Shibuta's English class! I send them emails that have sections of the Book of Mormon in English and Portuguese so they can read it on their own, and then discuss it with us on the phone. They are all really close with their families and want to be with them forever.

I talked to Ester* on the phone today. We have been teaching her for a long time. She is the best. Every time I call she answers by saying, "Praise God," haha. And her voice mail recording says, "Stop closing the window with Satan’s name on it. Open your window and let the blessing from God pour in. Be blessed." She is awesome. She loves God so much and has an incredible amount of faith. Today I shared Matthew 19:29 with her. She has lost some people in her life, and she told me she might be losing her house too. So I shared with her the story of Job! It was so perfect for her because she has had those trials in her life of losing children and parents, serious health problems and now her 'land'. But through all of this she never gave up her faith that God will deliver her. She said something like "If it's not good, it's not over". And I know that is so true but the best part is that she knows that now. I'm so happy to be teaching her! God bless!

Out of everything I have learned so far, the most important thing for us is to realize the value of having faith. Faith is the first thing we need. We cannot have, give, or receive anything without it. I talk to so many people who are in a lot better positions (worldly) than Ester*, but they don't have faith! They cannot find joy, happiness, peace or anything else that's good. One man I talk to asked me, "Why should I have faith?" I can't tell you how many times we have gone over faith and why it is important that he has faith. He cannot understand. I also talk to another man who served a mission and lost his faith. Why is it that we lose faith? We once had it. Why is it so hard to get it back after it's gone? I cannot tell people to have faith. Only the Spirit can.

I have been reading a talk by Lawrence E. Corbridge called, "The Fourth Missionary". Sister Au-Yeung gave it to me. President Corbridge was a mission president in Peru, and after observing missionaries for a long while, he came up with four basic categories that they could each be placed into. It talks a lot about the differences between actions and thoughts or attitude. He urges us to each try to be "the fourth missionary."  So awesome!

"The purpose and essential blessing of life is to be changed; to become more like the Lord, to realize the full measure of your potential. This process of change, this process of evolving, becoming, is the object of the gospel. Change is the design of faith in Christ, repentance and baptism. Redemptive change happens by the power of the Holy Ghost. But it happens only if and when your heart is right. It happens only if you do not fight against God. It happens only if you unconditionally surrender your will to the Lord"

"If your secret, heartfelt desires are to do what you want to do, rather than what the Lord wants for you, you will not be happy, and you will not profit from even your good works...You can't be in a state of happiness, whether now or in the eternities, if you don't want to do the things that lead to happiness, even if you do those very things. Do you hear this? You can't be happy if you don't want to do the things that lead to happiness, even if you do those very things."

I love this talk so much. It doesn't only apply to missionary work. We can all use this. If you aren't a missionary, you can 'Be the Fourth [Member]'!

Well, I am so happy to be in the Beehive House everyday! I love it so much! I know so much about Brigham Young now, it's ridiculous...in a good way.

XOXO

Sister Jarvie

*-Names may have been changed to ensure confidentiality.

--

Sister Lauren Jarvie

UT- Salt Lake City Temple Square Mission

50 N. West Temple St. Rm. BSVC

Salt Lake City, UT 84150


No comments: